Who needs a blackberry now? Smart GoMail is here!
There’s been so much hype about BlackBerry phones lately that I find myself wanting one, without really knowing why. I’m a big fan of Smart (http://www.facebook.com/SmartCommunications) and when they came up with a prepaid BlackBerry offer a few months ago, I thought that it was da bomb almost went for it.
But reality bites, and my techie plans got waylaid when my wife gave birth to a beautiful baby girl (worth another post – soon) project BlackBerry had to be shelved.
I work for a digital marketing agency, and work moves fast and being away from our desk is no longer an excuse to respond asap so a mobile email solution was imperative.
Thankfully, Smart launched their GoMail service which allows webmail users to access their yahoo mail, gmail and Hotmail via mobile phone.
So what’s the big deal? Well for starters, it isn’t a mobile internet play where you can access the mobile version of their mail websites for a set fee. It’s a service which optimizes your phone to actually download mail onto your mailbox! Yep. GoMail (with certain phones) will add a new folder within your inbox for your webmail!
How to get started (from my experience)
- Text MAIL to 7077 – you’ll then receive a reply with instructions… but you’re better off accessing the website at:
- http://smartmobileemail.smart.com.ph – a sparse looking site with a simple interface. It asks you to input your mobile number (in international format – +639xxxxxxxxx)
- Be ready to have your email address and password on hand and you have to know the model of your cellphone as the site will ask for it.
- once registered, the site will SHOW you an activation code on screen AND will send a configuration message to your phone.
- Once you receive the configuration message, open it, and you will be prompted to input the activation code from the site. Input the code to activate the configuration.
- Once done, you will have to send a text message to 7077 again, if you want the DAY option (php20 for one day unlimited email) or if you want the MONTH option (Php199 for 30 days) text DAY or MONTH respectively.
- Go to your phone mailbox and note the new folder which has your email address as the folder name.
- Click on it – you have two options: download all or download new mail. Unless you have an uber fast HSPA phone, just go for the download new mail
and that’s about it! I’ll post more stuff here as I use it.